1. What is Google Authenticator (GA)?
Google Authenticator (GA) is a dynamic password tool that Google built to provide its users with a stronger security layer for their account. After you have successfully linked your Dcoin account to the GA app, GA will generate a One-Time Password (OTP) every 30 seconds. This verification code can be used to login, withdrawal, and changing security settings to achieve maximum security for your Dcoin account.
2. Why Google authenticator can guarantee account security?
Based on the risk of SMS being intercepted and stolen, the security of Google Authenticator is higher than the ordinary SMS verification, just like the USB key of online bank, which is unique and non-replicable. All account funds involved in the online transfer need its unique authentication. Its working principle is as follows
(1) when the user needs to set up the Google authenticator service:
- The server randomly generates a key similar to "dpi45hkisexu6hg7" and stores the key in the database.
- Display a QR code on the page, and the content is a URI address
- Use the APP to scan the QR code and save the key "dpi45hkisexu6hg7" in the APP.
(2) when the user needs to log in:
- The client uses the key "dpi45hkisexu6hg7" every 30 seconds to generate a 6-digit one-time password through an "algorithm", such as "684060".
- The user enters the one-time password "684060" when logging in.
- The web server uses the key "dpi45hkisexu6hg7" and time stamp saved in the database to generate a 6-digit one-time password through the same "algorithm". If the algorithm is the same, the key is the same, and the time stamp is the same, the one-time password calculated by the APP and the server is the same. If it is the same when the server authenticates, the login will be successful.
3. How to set up Google Authenticator (GA)?
Step1-Download Google Authenticator (GA) onto phone (iOS Users: Apple App Store /Android Users: Google Play).
Step2- Open the GA app on your mobile device, click the “+” icon and choose “Scan a barcode” or “Enter a provided key” to manually input the key words.
Step3- Scan the QR code displayed in the Security page of the Dcoin or manually enter the key shown in the figure below. At this time, the Google Authenticator app in your phone will generate a string of 6-digit verification codes, fill in the space, enter the Sign in password and click Confirm.
Step4- After you have successfully set up GA, a GA code (the 6-digit code) will be required for each login or security action. The code changes every 30 seconds. Please remember to only enter the newest code.
Step5- How to deal with the loss of mobile phone and Google verification code?
It is strongly recommended that you save the key or QR code when binding the Google verification code. In case of loss of the phone, you can rebind it on the new phone. If you forget to back up the key or QR code, please send the photo of the ID card and the contact phone to email@example.com to apply for unbinding the Google verification code. After the customer service personnel handle it, you can rebind the new Google verification code.